PRO WRASSLIN REFLECTION PODCAST EPISODE 6: WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING’S PARADE OF CHAMPIONS 1984!
On this week’s episode of The Pro Wrasslin’ Reflection Podcast… World Class Championship Wrestling’s 1st David Von Erich Memorial Parade Of Champions 1984!
Big Ray, Travis Voeltz, "The Professor" Anthony Quintana aka “Ricky Freestyle” and Ryan K Boman review this classic World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW) event!
The WCCW Parade of Champions was a series of professional wrestling supercards promoted by Fritz Von Erich's World Class Championship Wrestling first in 1961, in 1972 and then annually from 1984 through 1988. Von Erich used the "Parade of Champions" name in 1984 to honor his recently deceased son, David and the subsequent Parade of Champions were all "Von Erich Memorial" Parades of Champions. At the inaugural Von Erich Memorial event, in front of the largest crowd ever to watch a pro wrestling event in the United States up to that point, Kerry Von Erich defeated Ric Flair for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, only to lose it back to Flair 18 days later in Yokohama, Japan. Over the next few years, Von Erich altered the names as tragedy repeatedly struck his family. The Parade of Champions was the most recognized event that World Class Championship Wrestling, later known as World Class Wrestling Association, promoted. There was a Parade of Champions super card held by Southern Sports (precursor to WCCW) in 1961 and another held by Big Time Wrestling (the previous name of WCCW) in 1972. All Parade of Champions supercards were held at Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas. A wrestling organization out of Texas called NWA Southwest ran an event in late August, 2010, called Parade of Champions, which it claimed was the "Longest Running Wrestling Event In Texas History Dating Back To 1972," but there was no actual connection between the WCCW show event other than the name.
Name of the event: WCCW 1st Von Erich Memorial Parade Of Champions
Date: June 5, 1984
Promotion: (WCCW) World Class Championship Wrestling, (NWA) National Wrestling Alliance
Location: Irving, Texas, USA Arena: Texas Stadium Attendance: 32,123 some report over 40,000
Full match Results:
- Singles Match: Johnny Mantell vs. Kelly Kiniski - Draw
- Tag Team Match: Chris Adams & Sunshine defeats Jimmy Garvin & Precious
- Singles Match: Butch Reed defeats Chic Donovan
- Singles Match: Kamala (w/Skandor Akbar) vs. The Great Kabuki (w/Gary Hart) - Draw
- Singles Match: The Junkyard Dog defeats The Missing Link (w/Skandor Akbar) by DQ
- NWA American Tag Team Title Match: Rock 'n' Soul (Buck Zumhofe & King Parsons) defeat The Super Destroyers (Super Destroyer #1 & Super Destroyer #2) (w/Skandor Akbar) (c) - TITLE CHANGE!!!
- World Class World Six Man Tag Team Title Match: The Von Erichs (Fritz von Erich, Kevin von Erich & Mike von Erich) defeat The Fabulous Freebirds (Buddy Roberts, Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) (c) - TITLE CHANGE!!!
- NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: Kerry von Erich defeats Ric Flair (c) - TITLE CHANGE!!!